NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-2021: Apply Online, Last Date, Eligibility Criteria, Educational Qualification, Age, Reservation, Application Form, How to Apply, Required Documents, Important Dates, Selection Process, Scholarship Amount, FAQs.
What is NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21?
The North Eastern Council (NEC) Scholarship is an initiative of the Directorate of Technical Education, Assam which provides financial assistance to economically backward students of the North-Eastern Region (NER) to pursue their higher education. The candidates can pursue Diploma/ Certificate Courses, UG Level Degree, PG Level Degree, PhD and M.Phil Degree. The students pursuing different disciplines within or outside of the NER but within India can avail the benefits offered by the NEC Scholarship.
Important Dates for NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21:
Starting Date for Online Application Submission: 16-08-2020
Last Date for Online Application Submission: 31-10-2020
NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21 Details:
Name of the Scholarship: NEC Merit Scholarship
Total Number of Scholarships: 1600
Financial Year: 2020-2021
Awarding Authority: North Eastern Council, Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Government of India, Shillong.
NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21 Eligibility Criteria:
The candidates are required to fulfill the following Eligibility Criteria:
- The Scholarship is open to students who are permanent residents of any of the North Eastern States (NEC).
- For candidates belonging to Academic Year 2020-21 and onwards, the scholarship under this scheme shall be disbursed only through National Scholarship Portal (NSP). However, the students who already have been receiving scholarship before these rules coming into force shall continue to receive their scholarships as per the prevailing procedures till end of the tenure of their scholarship.
- Once selected, the scholarship shall be available to a selected student for the prescribed duration of a course subject to fulfilment of renewal conditions, as specified under Para 6 of these rules. Extension of scholarship beyond the prescribed period of study will not be entertained.
- At the time of availing the scholarship, the student must not be in receipt of any other scholarship/financial assistance from any other source. A sponsored candidate under full employment during the period of study or working/in-service candidates shall not be eligible to receive the scholarship.
- A student shall only be considered for a scholarship in the year of commencement of his/her course. For the subsequent year of course, only renewal will be allowed.
- Scholarship shall be admissible to students who get admission in Diploma, Degree, Post-graduate or registration in M.Phil. / Ph.D courses of any institute recognized by the Government. The grant of scholarship for M.Phil and Ph.D would be after the registration of the students with the University. The Scholarship will not be available for internship or any practical training.
- The scholarship shall be admissible to the students whose parent/guardian’s annual income from all sources shall not exceed Rs 8.0 lakh. The income certificate issued by the competent authority shall be furnished by the candidate.
NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21 Educational Qualification:
The student must fulfil the following eligibility criteria in the previous qualifying examination for consideration of scholarship:
Qualifying Examination: HSLC/HSSLC/Secondary School Leaving /Senior Secondary Leaving Certificate examination from a recognised State/Central Board with minimum 60% marks in aggregate.
Qualifying Examination: HSSLC/Senior Secondary Leaving Certificate examination from a recognised State/Central Board with minimum 60% marks in aggregate.
Level: Post Graduate
Qualifying Examination: Degree level examination in any discipline (BA/BSc/BE/B Tech/MBBS/LLB/BCA/BBA etc. of any recognized Institute/ University with minimum 60% marks in aggregate.
Level: M.Phil/ Ph.D
Qualifying Examination: PG degree from any recognized University with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate.
NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21 Selection Process:
- The merit lists will be drawn from among finally verified applications as per the scheme guidelines and after following the laid down procedure on the NSP.
- Selection of students for M. Phil and Ph. D. will be done on the basis of the topic of research/Synopsis which has relevance to the problems/issues related to NE Region. The Subjects/topics for M.Phil and Ph.D should invariably be directly, specifically and currently relevant to NE Region. Basic and theoretical research shall not be favoured in general.
- The scholarship is purely on merit basis. The merit list will be prepared exclusively on the basis of marks obtained by the candidate in the qualifying exams and complying with the level-of-course-wise slots allotted to the states.
- In case of a tie, preference shall be given to the candidate having lesser family income
- There will not be any reservation/quota on the basis of category/religion/gender.
NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21 Amount:
The present rate of scholarship for related Subjects/Courses at different levels is as under:
|Level of Study||The scholarship amount for fresh and renewal cases (existing students)|
|Post graduate||25,000/- p.a.|
|M. Phil/ PhD||30,000/- p.a|
Number of Scholarship under NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21:
The number of Fresh Scholarships to be awarded every year to candidates of different NER states at different levels may be as follows:
|Sl. No.||State||Diploma||Degree||PG Degree||M.Phil/ Ph.D||Total|
NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21 Application Form:
- The applicants are required to fill up the application form on National Scholarship Portal (NSP) (www.scholarships.in), within the prescribed date for receipt of the application, following due procedure/guidelines mentioned thereon.
- They may also fill up the application form using the NSP Mobile app or UMANG Mobile App. The applicants are, however, encouraged to apply at the earliest as it will provide them with the opportunity to make correction/updating etc. in their application if suggested by the verification authority.
Documents to be submitted for NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21:
The applicant must be in possession of following documents at the time of
application. He/She may be asked to upload a scanned copy of these documents as per requirement or extant rules /guidelines.
- Permanent Residential Certificate (PRC) issued by the Dy. Commissioner /Addl. Dy. Commissioners/ Sub-divisional officer of civil sub-divisions in the NE States; except Sikkim where Certificate of Identification (COI) issued by the respective Deputy Commissioner in the Govt. of Sikkim to its Permanent residents. Certificate from any other authority will not be accepted. (Mandatory)
- Income Certificate issued by the Competent Authority (Mandatory)
- Bank Account Pass Book – Account must be in the name of applicant (Optional)
- Details of qualifying examination (Mandatory)
- Synopsis signed by the project guide / Director (Research) or any official authorized by the Institute/University in the case of M.Phil/Ph.D candidates (Mandatory)
- Any other document as may be required under NSP guidelines.
Important Links For NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21:
Official Notification: CLICK HERE
Online Application: CLICK HERE
FAQs on NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21:
Is there any reservation quota under the NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21?
There will not be any reservation/ quota on the basis of category/ religion/ gender.
Income Criteria for NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21?
The scholarship shall be admissible to the students whose parents/ guardians annual income from all sources does not exceed ₹ 8.00 Lakhs.
Who are eligible to apply for NEC Merit Scholarship 2020-21?
Students fulfilling the eligibility criteria of the scheme guidelines of NEC Merit Scholarship of Ministry of DoNER are eligible to apply for these scholarships. These are available on the National Scholarship Portal.
For more queries, please feel free to ask questions in the comment box below.
You May Also Like:
- National Talent Search Examination Assam 2020: NTSE Application Form 2020-2021
- Assam ST Scholarship 2020: Online Application for Pre & Post-Matric ST Scholarship
- Assam OBC Scholarship 2020: Online Application
- DHE Combined Merit Scholarship 2020-21: Apply Now
- Central Sector Scheme of Scholarships for College and University Students
- MLA Scholarship Scheme (SUHRID), Assam, 2020: Details, How to Apply, Last Date