Scholarships for College and University Students
Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education (Scholarship Bureau)
Department of Higher Education Scholarship Bureau (National Scholarship Division)
|Scheme Closing Date||31-12-2020|
Objective of the Scholarship
To provide financial assistance to meritorious students from low-income families to meet a part of their day-to-day expenses while pursuing higher studies.
Scope of the Scholarship
The scholarships are awarded on the basis of the results of Senior Secondary Examination. 82000 fresh scholarships per annum [41000 for boys and 41000 for girls] are awarded for pursuing graduate / postgraduate studies in colleges and universities and for professional courses, such as Medical, Engineering etc.
Allocation of Scholarships
The total number of scholarships are divided amongst the State Education Boards based on the State‟s population in the age group of 18-25 years, after segregating share of CBSE and ICSE on the basis of the number of students passing out from
various Boards in the country. 50 % of the scholarship is earmarked for girls. The number of scholarships allotted to a State Education Board is distributed amongst pass outs of the Science, Commerce and Humanities streams in the ratio of 3:2:1. In case of shortfall in the number of applications, the scholarship slots could be inter-changed.
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Students who are above 80th percentile of successful candidates in the relevant stream from the respective Board of Examination in Class XII of 10+2 pattern or equivalent and pursuing regular courses (not correspondence or distance mode) in Colleges/Institutions recognized by All India Council of Technical Education, UGC Act, 1956, Medical Council of India, Dental Council of India and respective regulatory authorities and not availing the benefit of any other scholarship scheme including State-run scholarship schemes/Fee waiver and reimbursement scheme are eligible under the scheme. Students pursuing Diploma courses are not eligible under the scheme.
- Students who are above 80th percentile of successful candidates in the relevant stream from a particular Board of Examination in Class XII
- Pursuing regular course (not correspondence or distance mode)
- Having a family income of less than Rs.8 lakh per annum
- Not receiving any other scholarship and fee reimbursement of any kind
- Diploma students not eligible under the scheme.
Reservation for the Scholarship
Students belonging to reserved categories/weaker sections /minorities are eligible on the basis of merit, subject to Central Reservation Policy and internal earmarking. Reservations for the various categories are as follows :
- Scheduled Castes (SCs) – 15 %,
- Scheduled Tribes ( STs) – 7.5%,
- Other Backward Classes (OBCs) – 27% and
- Horizontally 5% for Physically Handicapped / Persons(s) with Disabilities (PwDs) in all the categories.
Selection Procedure for the Scholarship
- Class XII pass out students of the current Academic Year, who are above 80th percentile of the respective State Education Boards (SEBs) are eligible under the scheme and can apply on National Scholarship Portal (www.scholarship.gov.in), before the cut-off date. Physical applications would not be accepted.
- The online applications would be verified at two levels:
- By the Institute where the student is studying.
- By the respective State Education Board.
- The applicant is required to submit requisite documents, such as [ Class 12th mark sheet, Income Certificate] to the Institute
- An application which is not verified either by the institute or by the concerned State Education Board or by both will be treated as „Invalid‟.
- Merit list as per the State allocated quota would be generated from the verified applications.
Amount of Scholarship
The rate of scholarship is Rs.10000/- per annum at Graduation level for the first three years of College and University courses and Rs.20000/- per annum at PostGraduation level. Students pursuing professional courses, in case, where the duration of the course is five (5) years/ Integrated course would get Rs.20000/- per annum in the 4th and 5th year. However, students pursuing technical courses such as B.Tech., B.Engg would get scholarship up to graduation level.
Parental Income for the Scholarship
The parental/family income ceiling is Rs. 8 lakh per annum for all categories under the scheme and would be applicable from the Academic Session 2018-19. Income certificate would be required for the fresh applicants only.
National Scholarship Division,
Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education,
West Block 1, 2nd Floor, Wing 6, Room No. 6,
R. K. Puram, Sector 1, New Delhi 110066.
Tele: 011-26172917, 26172491, 26165238
For more details, please read the full guideline (link provided below)
You May Also Like:
- NABARD Student Internship Scheme (SIS) 2021-2022: Application Form, Eligibility, How to Apply, Last Date, etc
- DTE Assam Engineering & Technological Merit Scholarship 2020
- LIC Golden Jubilee Scholarship Scheme 2020: Application Form, Eligibility, Last Date & Other Benefits
- National Talent Search Examination Assam 2020: NTSE Application Form 2020-2021
- Assam ST Scholarship 2020: Online Application for Pre & Post-Matric ST Scholarship
- Assam OBC Scholarship 2020: Online Application